Shoyu ramen is the most popular traditional Japanese ramen in Tokyo.
'Shoyu' means soy sauce in Japanese. Shoyu Ramen simply refers to ramen served with a soy sauce-based broth.
The soup is clear and light, so this ramen has been loved by Japanese people since it was made for the first time at the ramen restaurant called 来々軒 (Rai Rai Ken) in Tokyo in 1910.
1. Make stock with pork bones and vegetables
2. Make ramen noodles
3. Make ramen sauceMaking ramen from scratch is challenging for sure, but it definitely worth it.
This time was our first try to make ramen by ourselves. It took time and patience, but after we finished cooking and finally had the first sip of the soup, we were just amazed. Needless to say, it was absolutely the best ramen we ever had.
We also quite enjoyed the process of making our shoyu ramen, because all the steps are very simple and easy, and ingredients were quite accessible at any grocery stores.
Hope you like your ramen and this recipe. Good Luck!
For Ramen Broth
- 1 cup of Pork bones( This can be replaced by any kind of meat bone)
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 5 grams of Ginger
- 3 stalks of Green Onions
- 2 cups of ANY vegetables you would like (We used a couple of carrots, and an onion)
- 2L of Water
For Ramen Noodle
- 2 cups of Bread flour
- 2 cups of All purpose flour
- 220 ml of Water
- 1 teaspoon of Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
For Ramen Sauce
- 3 tbsp of Soy sauce
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of minced garlic (Optional)
1. Combine. Combine every ingredient to a deep pot.
2. Boil. Bring to a boil on high heat.
3. Cook. Cook for about one hour on high heat and then change the heat to medium and cook one more hour.
4.Remove the foam. Occasionally, remove the foam that rises to the top of the boiling water with a shallow spoon.
5. Take All the Ingredients Out. When it’s done, take all bones and vegetables out, add 2 cups of water, then set it aside.
1. Mix. In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, sugar, and garlic well.
2. Add. Add this sauce to the pot of broth that you set aside.
1. Mix. Mix water, baking soda, and salt until dissolved completely.
2. Add and Mix. In a large bowl, add bread flour and all purpose flour and mix well. Then add 4/5 of liquid and mix well with flour until it all became small flakes of dough. Cover the dough and rest it for 5 minutes.
3. Knead. Make a ball of dough (if the dough is too dry to make a ball, add the rest of liquid little by little until the dough became soft enough) and take it out from the bowl. Put it in a large plastic bag or zip lock bag. Knead the dough with your feet over the bag on the floor until it gets flat. Once it became a flat layer, fold it and knead again. Repeat this 3-4 times. This step gives the noodle good texture.
5. Rest. Cover the dough and rest it for 20 minutes to an hour.
6. Roll Out the Dough. Take out the cover and roll out the dough into thin layer (if you have rolling pin, use it)
7. Cut the Dough. Cut the dough into thin noodles.
8. Boil Water. Prepare boiling water in a deep pot.
9. Cook Noodles. Cook noodles for one or two servings at a time for 1 to 2 mins. (Keep stirring noodles to prevent noodles from sticking together.)
11. Prepare Soup. While cooking noodles, prepare a bowl of ramen soup.
12. Serve. Take the noodle out of the pot and serve in the bowl of soup.
13. Add toppings in your ramen bowl (optional)